Autumn Burns shows Bob how to make a Hummingbird Cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained (such as Crushed Pineapple in Pineapple Juice)
- 2 cups chopped ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted • Vegetable shortening
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2(8-0z.) pkg.s cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salted butter or margarine, softened
- 2(16-0z.) pkg.s powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Additional Ingredient
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
Prepare the Cake Layers: Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, bananas, and toasted pecans. Divide batter evenly among 3 well-greased(with shortening) and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely, about 1 hour.
Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium low speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Increase speed to medium high, and beat until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Assemble Cake: Place 1 Cake Layer on a serving platter; spread top with 1 cup of the frosting. Top with second layer, and spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with third layer, and spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Arrange pecan halves on top of cake.